Saturday, June 20, 2015

A Reflection

It's been 11 days since we left Costa Rica. In the time that's past, I have slowly realized what this trip has taught me. I was already expecting to change at least some of my thought process and that happened. I expanded my horizons, saw new techniques, learned a better (and more fun) way to teach and gained empathy for the struggles of not only ELL students but any student that struggles.  

First, I have reaffirmed that I am not a cut out for elementary school. I do not have the patience for them. While I have mentioned this before, I feel it bears repeating because it is always good to understand ones weaknesses as well as strengths.  That said, I do love the little ones; their openness, excitement and willingness to learn.  There were very few students that we met that were not enjoying school. This seems so much different than schools at home. I don't know if it is because our students have a sense of entitlement or if it is because Costa Rica is so much more focused on education. I see Costa Rica and see how their learning is focused around the global community. The Costa Rican education system is focusing not only on their own country, but how they are an integral part of a bigger world. Students are learning to become good citizens of CR, good stewards of the environment and to improve and impact the world. In contrast, there is an adept sense of entitlement in the U.S.  The vast majority of our students have everything they need, textbooks, technology, Masters level educators; they have never known what it means to want.  They see education not as a life changing step; not a journey to a better life, but an annoying requirement with which they have to suffer through. This ideology I believe is the key difference in our culture and societies.

"Demonstrate, don't Translate." This is the motto of Dina, one of the English teachers we met. I found this particularly difficult because I knew enough Spanish to converse with them (and really wanted to practice!). Of course, the point of us going to the school was for her students to get as much practice speaking English as possible.  Dina, and others we met, believe in complete immersion.  We learned from her and personal experience that when someone can speak your language it makes you try less to make yourself understood.  This was something we were experiencing first hand in our host homes as well as our Spanish classes. Our Spanish immersion classes, while very instructive, had my brain going through sensory overload by the second week. Being at Dina's school also taught us how important it is to see to our students physical needs as well as their academic needs. All of the schools we went to were open air  
schools with plenty of breaks and time for students to process what have learned. This is particularly important because students have a hard focusing on what they need learn when their brains are overloaded and their needs are not being met.

More than anything, our Spanish class was what really helped me gain empathy for my students. We were only in class for 4 hours a day. ELL students have to sit in 8 hours of class every day, learning a language on top of all of the other subjects (in English). After our four hours a day I barely had enough brain capacity to do my Spanish homework. I can't imagine having to deal with double the amount of time, learning core subjects in that language as well as having to deal with a home life that is much different than those of their current peers. Many ELL's families are more connected than what you will find in your typical US household. Our students often have responsibilities at home other than doing their homework. This is something that I have learned to take into consideration.

 One school we went to (the Cloud Forest School) really piqued my interest. I have taken many classes that talk about the importance of project and inquiry based learning but I have not ever seen it put in place as it is at that school. At this school, I have finally seen what my professors were talking about and how school should really be.  It was awe-inspiring. The school was a little community unto themselves, each helping the others, working together in harmony and enjoying themselves.  I know that sounds a little crunchy but there it is.

Flexibility is also an important factor.  While there, things did not always work out as we would have them.  I have learned a greater range of flexibility and a more carefree attitude.  This will come in handy for several reasons. By being more flexible, I will be able to see the silver linings to what would otherwise be an annoying situation. I am also able to show my students that life isn't perfect and it is the way in which you handle those situations which truly shows your character. It is also lightens the stress I will feel by an incredible amount.

I have become a risk-taker. I wasn't sure I had it in me, but I am happy to say that I am and I do. I found out that I was able to let go during our zip lining excursion. In the time before we left, I was nauseous and got more so as our time got closer. After the first zip, not only did I feel better but I was eager and excited for the next ones. I need to come out of my box, try new things, incorporate new ideas and implement them in my classroom. I am now more than every excited and willing to do this.

Students in Costa Rica are risk-takers as well. While in the classroom, we were witness to students willingly, even eagerly stepping out of their comfort zones. These students are being taught to think outside of the box, that mistakes are ok and that the point of school is learning. They are taught everything in context and with relevance. There is conversation between teacher and students. The students I met are able to flourish and are given room to grow. I see the excitement of these students and see the future. Innovators that will take us into the next century.
I see a difference between these students and the students here in the U.S. Having been in a school system for a few years, I constantly see students who are not taking risks. They are not encouraged to; whether by parents, teachers or administrators.  I see many students who are only wanting to do the minimum amount of work to get by; and still some who aren't willing to do that much. Where is the risk? Where is the fun? We-the collective we (and the U.S. DOE) are hyper-focused on test scores, rigor and Title 1 grants than making sure that students are actually learning. Unfortunately, there have been times when I have seen students who have not done the required work being passed on to the next grade. There is no challenge, no risk for them, so why should they try? Our students aren't taught that mistakes are ok, and it is to their detriment.

This trip has also increased in me the desire to help students in poverty.  Seeing the need in La Carpio has solidified my resolve to help those who need it. There are so many children in this world who not only need an education to raise their families out of poverty but also want an education.  They know that a proper education is the only thing that will change their situation. One thing I have found is that the deeper in poverty someone is, the higher the need for an education and the more aware they are to that need. I know now that I will be looking for opportunities to work outside of the United States. Not because I don't want to teach in the U.S. but because the need is greater elsewhere and there is more flexibility within the classroom setting. The compassion I have and the need I feel to help is far outpacing my reasons for staying. If I do end up staying stateside, I know that I am now able to bring a higher level of empathy for my students as well as a richer and more cohesive cultural education for my students. Regardless of where I end up, I know that will have become a better teacher because of this trip.  I have made many friends, become part of a new family and will never forget my purpose.

I would not have had this life changing journey if it weren't for Dr. Powell. Her expertise and flexibility were invaluable and her love of teaching obvious. I can't imagine having a better professor to go with (though I hope someone will pick up the mantle). Thanks Dr. P for all the stories and life lessons!                                                                                                                                                                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment