Monday, June 1, 2015

Reviews and Religion

My little Tico brother is so cute. Last week I was able to go to his end of year poetry review. Amabelize told me that the Cloud Forest school is the only school that does inquiry learning. It was wonderful to watch and see how proud he was about his performance.  I was surprised to see how much English the students know. The 10th graders we extremely well spoken. The school seems kind of crunchy but really cool. He is really excited for me to come see his school. We are only observing but I can't wait either!!


Friday evening I had interesting conversation with my Papa Tico, Fabian. It echoed a similar conversation I had with some of the girls at lunch. It initially started when I gave out the gifts I had for them.  One gift for Amabelize was a cross magnet with Romans 12:12 on it. She began asking me about the way we as Americans felt about the cross and how some Costa Ricans don't focus on that but more on Mary. Which makes sense because Costa Rica is a Catholic country.  We spoke of the meaning of God, different ideologies and foundations of the church and how it has been manipulated into something that is not what it was intended to be.  Fabian could not understand the difference between communing with nature because God is all around us and the formal structure of the church. At one point, the words we were using were not conveying our true ideas and beliefs that we ended up using Google Translator to assist us.  Our talk was amazing and really gave me insight to what they believe and how similar we are in our thought processes.

No comments:

Post a Comment