Thursday, May 14, 2015

Let the Journey Begin!!! Costa Rica here we come!

There are so many thoughts going through my head right now. This is it friends! I am currently sitting on a very comfy bed attempting to see to last minute details that I know are already done.  I am extremely antsy and can't seem to sit still.  12 hours from now we will be on a plane; on the first leg of our flight!!

I can't even begin to describe the words that I am feeling right now. Exhilaration because I LOVE adventures, being new places, seeing and doing new things. Anxious is near the top of the list too. Doing new things (while I love it) makes me nervous.  I am very Type A personality (those of you who know me are thinking...DUH...) So I feel like everything has to be perfect. I know this is definitely NOT the case, but what can you do? First it was what to bring to wear (shallow I know). Then it was if my bags were too heavy or too big...that got resolved.  After that it was making sure I got everything done for work and home to make me being gone easier for Chris and the kids. Now I am stressing over the gifts I brought my Tico family. It's too late now and I'm sure they will love them but not knowing a whole lot about them; I don't want to make any cultural faux pas and be "that American".

The hardest thing I think for me will be learning to let go. It happened when I was in Zim and I know it will happen here too. As American's we get so focused on time and schedules that we really don't see or live in the moment. I am looking forward to entering "Tico Time". I think this will be a great reminder for the future. Whenever I get stressed out as a teacher; I will remember my time in Costa Rica and that some things are out of my control and to take life as it comes. This time will also help break down the wall of my 'perfectionist' self...another thing I struggle with.

My personal growth will always effect my professional growth; I am excited about this chance to learn more about who I am.  This is all well and good of course, but I am also interested to see how schools work in other countries.  I feel that God has led me to teaching and I know that he has led me to have a heart for international missions and those in poverty. This trip seems to be the chance for me to take a glimpse into my possible future. The desire to work internationally has grown exponentially in the past few years. I am almost certain that God is leading me, one step at a time to work in underdeveloped nations. I don't know when or how.  In the meantime, I will be able to use my experiences from this trip here at home. By living with a host family, I am (albeit, temporarily) becoming a part of their culture instead of being an observer. Even with the language barrier (which will help me empathize with my ELL students) I am hoping to connect with my host families and the students we come to meet. These first hand experiences (the fun and struggles) will give my students a greater depth of knowledge and a more personal investment in their own education.

This trip is going to make me a better teacher, sure; but it's going to make me an even better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment