Friday, May 22, 2015

A Band of Brothers

Today was a heavy day for many reasons. We visited the Costa Rican Humanitarian Foundation  which is run by a phenomenal woman named Gail. I was easily the most excited person to meet Gail and learn about what she is doing in the area of La Carpio.  After our greeting us, she introduced to us  a quiet but handsome boy named Frederico who came knocking on her door the day before asking for food.

Frederico is 16 and is a Nicaraguan refugee that came here with his father and brothers when he was young. He sits quietly holding a pair of high-top shoes as if they were his most precious possession...they probably are. He is embarrassed to be the focus of so much attention when he is used to blending in. His hands and clothes are dirty from working in the garbage trucks.  He tells us that he dropped out of school to help take care of his brothers; he only has a 3rd grade education. He would like to go back to school if it was a possibility but with two younger brothers, that is unlikely. When a family is in poverty, typically it is the youngest member of the family who is able to receive the most education. When this happens, they are able to raise their family our of poverty as well. But for boys like Federico, his chances of getting an education are almost nonexistent. Luckily he does not have any children or even a girlfriend but he still has his brothers to raise. He does what he must to survive. I listen intently to his story with tears streaming down my face.  I cannot help it. I am hyper-aware of his plight and the plight of so many others like him. It breaks my heart into a million pieces. He has such a sweet personality. When he is done speaking, we say good bye; I hug him tightly and tell him I love him. I can barely get the words out. I can't help but wonder if he has ever been hugged or been told that he is loved before. It takes me a very long time compose myself. I just wanted to sit in the corner to cry and get it all out.

Unfortunately is an all to common story. Federico is only one of many young men who scavenge the trash trucks from San Jose in search for anything of value so that they can sell it to pay for food. The diggers and the truck drivers have a very symbiotic relationship. There is comradere. The drivers have no need to help them but they do. If they find something of worth, they set it aside for the boys. This band of brothers work in dangerous conditions, handling and inhaling toxic materials. After our conversation with Federico  we went to visit the area where the valuables are weighed and collected. As we watch the garbage trucks pull up to us, we can see a few men digging around and jumping off the trucks.  These men have sacks filled with all sorts of different things. Today, they are *lucky*. They found a bag filled with wiring. Inside the plastic casing is copper wiring. This wiring is very valuable to them. First, because it is dense, they are able to get more money for it but also because it is not found often and can be easily recycled. I say they are lucky but really they are not. To get to the copper they must first burn off the plastic casing and in doing so, inhale the toxic and cancer causing fumes.

I cannot sufficeintly express my feelings beyond the overwhelming need to help. Gail says that these men have wonderful work ethics. We can see that they are very polite and well mannered. One man told Gail that he is an artist; all of them know construction but are told there are no jobs.  The Nicaraguan immigrant population in CR can be equated to that of Mexico and the US. Like  the US, childern in CR are able to go to school for free. But many of the children in slums like these go unnoticed until someone like Gail is made aware. Hopefully Federico and his brothers will have a chance at a better life.

Life is not good for the women of La Carpio either. Some have the same jobs as Federico and his band of brothers.  However, Gail has plans to create a craft business for the women in the area. (*this is RIGHT up my alley*) I met Ana and her son Randall; they are creating bags to sell for one of the coffee companies here. I had gotten the chance to talk to Gail regarding Trades of Hope earlier; I feel that God has led me to this place and I told her so. God's presence covers her and her work. She was interested in the work that I do with Trades of Hope. I would love if we were able to assist her in her work.

On top of all of this, it is our last day in San Jose. Tomorrow we are heading to the beach for a few days to decompress and then we'll be moving on to MonteVerde. Tonight is my last night with my Tico family. I have grown to love them so much. It hurts to know that I may never see them again. I'm glad we have Facebook. At least I will be able to keep in touch with them that way. They have helped me so much over the past week. They have been so patient with me!  The emotional upheaval has been a lot to deal with today; so I'm heading to bed to let my brain finish processing. I hope everyone has a great night/day. Please keep Gail, CRHF and Federico in your prayers. It would me a  lot to me.

God Bless. ~L


Federico walking home with a full stomach, food for his brothers and his new shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment