Thursday, May 28, 2015

Down Time & Scrambled Brains


I haven't been able to write for a while.  We've been very busy. This past weekend we were able to spend some down time at la playa de Manuel Antonio. It is also a nature reserve and we were able to see 3 different kinds of monkeys, sloths, deer, in their natural habitat on our way down to the beach. I am so surprised how well everyone is getting along.  Saturday evening I spent some time poolside at the hotel and after dinner we were watched the CR Futbol Championship.  Heredia v Alajuela.  Heredia won after 2 OT and on PK's. I heard it was a really awesome ending (I wouldn't know, I went to bed...). I know my Tico Family back in Heredia are ecstatic!

The view at la playa Manuel Antonio. Yeah, be jealous 😜



One thing I have not talked about is the amount of time our brains are staying engaged. After our time La Carpio, it was really hard to reengage in Spanish class that afternoon. The amount of emotional stress exhausted me for anything else. It's some thing I will have to remember when dealing with students who do not pay attention bc their mind is elsewhere.  It's really important to me that they know that they can trust me. Even now; I think about Frederico and his situation and it hurts my heart.  Regardless, I have been ending almost everyday thinking that my head is going to fall off my shoulders.  It really is disconcerting the amount of language I feel I have to learn.

We finished off our weekend by driving 5 hours (well...Brauneir drove) from the beach to MonteVerde to meet our new Tico family.  I was totally stoked because the parents are about my age and their children are kinda near in age.  They are fabulous and I just love the kids. Tiffany is 19 and Ariel is 8. This family is much more open and welcoming than my first family.  Not that they weren't great, but they gave me room and this family is very much a unit that I am included in.  It's pretty cool.  My biggest concern is that there are alacrons (scorpions) in the vicinity. ::shudder:: I haven't seen any yet and hope I never do.




We were able to go into a school on Tuesday and teach them in English about colors and feelings. We will be going back on Thursday to teach and Friday to teach and work on a "playground".  It's going to be great! Even if it is elementary school. I know I know more than I did before.  My brain is on function overload right now so I'm off to bed. But know this. Kids are kids are kids. They are able to achieve much more than we thing they are able to.

Before
Night Y'all!    

No comments:

Post a Comment