Sunday, May 17, 2015

Pura Vida

Hola from Costa Rica!!   We have been so busy I have barely had time to breathe! It's been an exciting trip so far. We breezed through customs (it always makes me nervous)  and met Jorge and Jenni, two of the people working at CPI. After arriving we stopped at the banco (bank) to convert our money.  That was an experience I won't forget! Even standing in line at the bank is different. I was so nervous that I almost forgot to get my passport back from the teller! We went to a cute restaurant for lunch (ceviche...yum),and then got the lay of the land in San Joaquin. It was fabulous seeing all the new things; My senses were pretty overwhelmed by the end of the day. We were able to stop at a farmers market and taste and see all the different fruits and vegetables they have to offer.  Guava looks like a green boomerang and its fruit looks and tastes like sweet cotton balls.  There is a lot of texture differences.
3 of the waterfalls at La Paz


Yesterday, we went to La Paz Waterfalls and stopped at a coffee farm. We got a great lesson on the differences and blends of coffee; I got tons of pictures! La Paz is in between two active volcanoes (EEK!) Our guide Javier is awesome and knows almost everything there is to know about Costa Rica. We probably walked about 4 miles yesterday, up and down stairs. The cloud forest is beautiful, there really is no other place like it.

I can Tucan, can you?



Teatro Nacional
After breakfast today we went to the museum, an open air market and the Teatre Nacional (their National Theater). The museum had a new exhibit out which fit right into my Social Studies content area. I can't wait to post pictures....Especially of the theatre! OMG it's GORGEOUS. The design and detail. there are frescos on the ceilings and many details are gold-leafed! I promise to post pictures as soon as I can!


The "Sitting Room"

 












CPI Heredia
About 3p we headed to CPI for our Spanish testing and introduction and to meet our families. I was so nervous about the test (and probably flunked the written portion). The written portion was all grammar - using correct tenses and forms...It's been a LONG time since I took a Spanish class. I know it's not a big deal and that CPI will arrange the class that is right for me but it was still a bit nerve-wracking. My oral went better (I think) but I didn't realize how much Spanish I didn't know until I met my host family.


My First Host Family

I met Nancy and Ilma first. Nancy and I are the same age and she has an adorable little girl. Ilma has Nancy as well as Carolina and Armando. I was really excited to meet them and they seemed really excited to meet me. During the drive to the house, my trepidation grew. I finally plucked up the courage to ask Nancy about Marisol and told about my family. When we got to the house, I was shown my room and how everything works. After I was introduced to Papa Tica and Armando we watched a little futbol. Papa tica and I bonded a bit over the  game. :) They are very patient with me (Thank GOD) and more than willing to help me with my spanish homework. Ilma and Nancy have no problem correcting my grammar or pronunciation or prompting me. They have been great so far and I know I am going to have a wonderful time with them. The nerves are still there and being unable to say the easiest things are frustrating but with their help, I *might* be sufficiently fluent at the end of our time here.  I am looking forward to the challenges that I will be facing. It's going to be interesting.
Mi familia Tico de Heredia <3


No comments:

Post a Comment